Sunday, February 26, 2012

Well now that that's over....

Okay, so I gave into the Hunger Games trilogy after months of internal arguments and it was the best decision EVER. Everyone I know seems to be obsessed (note: this is an understatement) with the books and the upcoming Lionsgate movie release (count me in). Upon finishing each book, I found myself jumping up and sprinting the five feet to my bookshelf to grab the next installment.

I finished the last page of "Mockingjay" last evening and as soon as I closed the book, several emotions washed over me:

1) accomplishment: Three books in a week. Not a new record, but given my normal weekly schedule, it's pretty impressive these days.
2) resolution: I knew how the story of Katniss Everdeen and the citizens of Panem ended. I was also happy that it ended in a way that I was hoping for. (Not to give anything away, but I guess I'm "Team ____________" now.)
3) entrancement: Suzanne Collins' story was structured perfectly, from the setting to the character development. The story transported me right into Panem as I watched as the stories unfolded.
4) inspiration: I've been reading more than writing. To be honest, I've pretty much been doing anything but. As soon as I closed, the book I was inspired to write (so what if it was 3AM?).
5) emptiness: I felt this only one other time and that was when I finally completed the Harry Potter series (which took a lot longer due to the beastly fifth book).  No matter how long the journey I spent with these characters, I became attached. So when the stories end, it's "Well, now what?" However, I will say that I have no desire for the stories to play out in any other way (including additional stories/versions--i.e. that rumored fifth Twilight book that portrayed Edward Cullen's version of events.) Everything needs an ending and sadly, when things like this enter the pop culture/Hollywood realm, money dominates over what is right. There was resolution to the story and it ended appropriately. And yes, I'd say this even if it hadn't ended in a way that I supported.

Have you ever had a book series that affected you like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment