Sunday, February 19, 2012

Review: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I've heard people discussing "The Hunger Games" for a while now. And I was a bit hesitant. I got sucked into the madness that was is "twilight" and it was a bit scarring almost. But my hesitation turned into an eager anticipation. I would go to the bookstore and stand in front of the YA section, staring at the books, almost watering at the mouth. I really wanted to read it, but kept thinking, "Nah. Don't do it. Go to the library. If you like the first one, then proceed with buying." (This was one of the few times I can ever remember talking myself out of buying books. Luckily, it won't ever happen again if I can help it.)

But that pep talk didn't come true. And so I continued to stand around awkwardly at the bookstore, trying to talk myself into it.

And then...Christmas 2011 happened. I was gifted the whole trilogy and I could barely contain myself. So I began to read. I got sucked into the dark, futuristic world of Panem that Collins created. My heart was beating as the Hunger Games participants' names were selected; my world came to a halt as I refused to sit the book down in the midst of the competition. Would Katniss survive? What about her and Peeta? And Gale? The questions kept coming and with every page, I found myself so entertained, I could barely contain myself. I gasped out loud. I laughed. My heart fluttered at the possibilities.

 As I finished the last page of "The Hunger Games," you can bet yourself that I ran to my bookshelf and snatched the next piece of the trilogy. As Katniss' world unfolds, you can guarantee I'll be following along. Collins' writing was worth the wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment